Thursday, December 14, 2023

Change

      The change has been gradual over several years. Today it became more obvious. The change is in the way I hunt pheasants. Unlike some other forms of hunting, pheasant hunting is primarily walking. These walks could be done without a gun, but it's not likely to happen. Today much of the terrain was over old pocket gopher mounds obscured by tall grass. Yes, I picked my way very carefully. 

     So what is this change? In former years I'd actively position my walking to be in the best proximity to where a pheasant  might flush. Gradually as time has passed I find myself forgoing proximity for ease. The ground is smoother, the grass shorter, the walking easier are now options of choice. I'm very willing to sacrifice the higher probability of being within gun range to a bird for the easier path.    

   Part of the change in me is that I'm content with difference. Seeing birds, several of which I saw at a distance today, is satisfying. Not a shot was fired and that's okay. 

   Speaking of seeing I saw a nice, young buck. It was fairly large. It's antlers were quite small. I'm happy it escaped with its life the recent deer season. Perhaps I'll be fortunate to see from time to time as it grows. 

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: