Thursday, December 7, 2023

Delightful

      There's a little slough, maybe three acres, at the south end of the property. That places it in the center of the section, and a half-mile from any roads. After buying the land 30+ years ago I closed the ditch which had drained it. It's dry now but this summer contained enough water to enable good cattail growth.  Cattails are good habitat for pheasants.

     Kaia and I hunted today for the first time in weeks. About halfway in our walk around it, I should say in my walk around it because Kaia was going through it, it erupted in flying pheasants. Were there 30? That's my guess, all of which were out of range for a shot. It's delightful to see such numbers...it makes my day.

    Then I went to Nunda for the fried chicken lunch special. Two pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable, dinner roll and homemade chocolate cookie for $7.50. I was so good I tipped over a quarter.

Takk for alt,

Al

 "Isn’t it queer: there are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before; like the larks in this country, that have been singing the same five notes over for thousands of years." Willa Cather




1 comment:

PMF said...

From Song of the Lark, by Cather, maybe. Great book.