Sunday, August 28, 2022

First Plane Ride.

      Do you remember your first plane ride. Perhaps it was to an exotic place like Hawaii. If it was a long time ago, likely you and the other passangers were dressed nicely. There was a time when everyone dressed in nice clothes for flying. I wouldn't mow the lawn in clothes that some wear on planes today. Yes, that dates me...but that's okay because I've lived through many calendar dates.

    San Diego, CA., was the destinatioin of my first place ride after boarding in Omaha, NB. Maybe you've guessed that I was on my way to Marine Corps Boot Camp. A bus from Arlington, SD, took me to Omaha and it passed right by our farm along US Highway 81. My Dad took me to Arlington and likely the bus passed the farm before he was home again.

    In Omaha recruits from the area were boarded on a plance for San Diego.  There was only one person on the planc I knew, John Bergland, and I only knew him slightly. The plane was a four engine DC-6. The flight was fun though concerns about what lay ahead took some edge off the pleasure. 

    Waiting for us at the airport in San Diego was a Marine Sergeant who failed to recognize how significant we were as he ordered us into the back of a truck. He could have used some refinement from Miss Manners. Huddled in the back of that truck we wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into? We soon found out!

Takk for alt,

Al


                                     A DC-6.

No comments: