Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Reflections on plans to move.

        Tom and Becky are the ones who got me thinking about my living situation. Over a two year period they visited twelve senior living establishments in the Twin Cities before making their choice. When the unit they chose became available they downsized from a large, lovely home in south Minneapolis to a two bedroom plus den. 

      They wrote a very informative essay about the process and the reasons. In that essay they included the story of a widow who was determined to stay in her house until she died. As she aged life became more difficult with house up-keep, getting groceries, etc. As her living situation created isolation she became bitter about being forgotten.  Staying did not turn out to be a good choice.

     In the years since Joanne died I've been acutely aware that living alone, as I do, has three major dependencies. Life in The Little House is dependent upon my ability to walk. Condo life, with no stairs to navigate, could be done with the aid of a walker or scooter. Living alone is dependent upon good eyesight. Fortunately my sight is good but both life in the condo and The Little House depend on seeing. There is no one with me to offer reminders therefore a good memory is important. Forgetting things in nothing new with me but I'm not forgetting more than I always did. The ability to remember is my third dependency. 

     Many senior living places offer free waiting lists. When an opening occurs the person on the wait list has a choice to either accept, or, if they are not ready to move, to remain on the list. Having a plan before disaster strikes is a good idea.  See the comic below.

Takk for alt,

Al





No comments: