Tuesday, October 15, 2019

"Grief is the seed of.singing..."

Citizen of Dark Times
by Kim Stafford
Agenda in a time of fear: Be not afraid.
When things go wrong, do right.
Set out by the half-light of the seeker.
For the well-lit problem begins to heal.
Learn tropism toward the difficult.
We have not arrived to explain, but to sing.
Young idealism ripens into an ethical life.
Prune back regret to let faith grow.
When you hit rock bottom, dig farther down.
Grief is the seed of singing, shame the seed of song.
Keep seeing what you are not saying.
Plunder your reticence.
Songbird guards a twig, its only weapon a song.
 
Kim Stafford, “Citizen of Dark Times” from Wild Honey, Tough Salt. Copyright © 2019 by Kim Stafford.  Writer's Almanac

     Being a writer, and not a singer, I turn for help to Tom, who posted this when his beloved mother-in-law died.
To my dear sisters and brothers,

After gathering around Mom's body yesterday for one last time - such a profoundly sad and grateful moment - I left the Cremation Society with a song in my heart ... which was still there this morning.  "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child."   Not one, but both of my mothers ... gone.  So hard.   I think I wailed the song all night long. 

Needing to cry, I went to YouTube this morning and found several fine renditions of this traditional spiritual by African American women , including Mahalia Jackson (start at 2:18), Lena Horne and Bessie Griffin.  The rendition that resonated most deeply with me is the one by Jesse Norman, who just died on Monday at 74.  When you've got time and a quiet place, I think you'll find listening to each of them to be evocative.

I also found the following commentary from Wikipedia helpful in understanding the depth of soul from whence this spiritual emerged:

"Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" is a traditional Negro spiritual. It dates back to the era of slavery in the United States. An early performance of the song dates back to the 1870s by the Fisk Jubilee Singers. Like many traditional songs, it has many variations and has been recorded widely.

The song is an expression of pain and despair as it conveys the hopelessness of a slave child who has been torn from her or his parents. Under one interpretation, the repetition of the word "sometimes" offers a measure of hope, as it suggests that at least "sometimes" the singer does not feel like a motherless child.

Richie Havens performed a historical rendition of the song – retitled "Freedom (Motherless Child)" – on August 15, 1969 at the Woodstock festival (opening for the festival).  See/listen to Richie HERE.

Yes, we're relieved and grateful that Mom's long journey is over.
Yes, we'll gather to celebrate her life and tell stories.  
But we'll also grieve, as grieve we must.
Becky and I found yesterday full of profound sadness and a deep sense of loss.
I hope that when you do ... 
or to help you to that place of befriending your grief ...
that this spiritual might be your guide.  
May your "sometimes" offer a measure of hope.

Blessings and love,
Tom

P.S. Thanks to each of you for allowing/encouraging me 
to claim your mother as mine as well.

Don’t ask what the world needs. 
Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. 
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Howard Thurman

Thanks, Tom, for this eloquent tribute which speaks to all of us in the land of Grief.

Takk for alt,

Al

PS I forgot to hit "Post" last night...sorry, my bad.

No comments: