Sunday, October 27, 2019

Flashback!

      Overheard at book club:
"What is the difference between a graveyard and a cemetery?
    Answer:
"A graveyard is by a church and a cemetery can be anywhere."
     I didn't know that, nor did I look it up in my Funk and Wagnalls to see if it is true. Also mentioned was that Indian sites are always referred to as "burial grounds." Why?

Flashback:
   When I received notice of a friend/acquaintances sudden death today I flashed back to Joanne's death. Bev lived in Sioux Falls and since we left we (I) have been out of contact. We didn't "run around with Bev and Les, but we were often as the same events in our South Dakota days. When we met we always had deep, significant conversations.
    Bev was only 70, and died suddenly and unexpectedly which reminded me of how fortunate we were to have Joanne in hospice for 23 days. Joanne was 82, and I am thankful the length of her life. As I imagine Les confronted now with the sudden death of his wife I recall the trauma of those early days after Joanne died. Now Les begins his journey in the land of grief  tormented by the presence of absence.
   What carried me though? Largely relationships...family and friends and they are what continue to make life in the land of grief meaningful. A huge thank you to all you my 'virtual' friends. You are such a gift.

Takk of alt,

Al

No comments: