Sunday, October 6, 2019

Finally...

    Activities today included a boat ride on Douro River and a walking tour of downtown Porto. Porto has a sister city across the river; Gaia, which is slightly smaller. The metro area has a population for about 1.3 million.
    Portugal is holding elections today. Polls are open from 7:00 a.m., until 7:00 p.m. Electioneering is not allowed the day prior. Our guide does not expect much change to happen.
    This has been a good trip for me. However, the balance between being with others and being alone is very different than that to which I've become accustomed.  B y today I found myself ready for more individual experience. Said another way; my people bladder is full. This no critique of the group. All members have been pleasant, curious, prompt and cheerful...and no one has gotten lost. Our guide's use of a electronic device broadcasting to an ear piece we wear has been very helpful, especially given my compromised hearing.
      My flight leaves Porto at 5:00 a.m., tomorrow (Monday) for Amsterdam. If all goes as scheduled I'll arrive in Minneapolis at 1:10 p.m.  Tonight is our final meeting and dinner.

Takk for alt,

Al
The Eiffel bridge where he tried out his construction ideas before building the tower in Paris.

Buildings lining the waterfront.

Old town street.

Central church tower which serves as a land mark.

Tiled frescoes in the train station. 

No comments: