Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Gorgeous weather in Lisbon!

    The guide claims that Portugal is the 3rd safest country in the world following Iceland and ??, I forget. Perhaps it is, since I have neither been mugged nor my pocket picked. My sample is small, you say? Well, true enough but it really feels safe anyway.
     Who would have guessed that I would go to a tile museum? We'd call them ceramic tiles and the museum is a former convent. Without the guide's help I would not have gotten much out of it but she made it interesting.  Portugal is famous for this art form which reaches back to the Moors. Many buildings display tiles on their walls and it's a common item in gift shops.
       The Jeronimos Monastery was our next stop. Reminiscent of a cathedral, the line to enter was longer than the time we spent inside. Built by a Portuguese king, with tax money of course, it houses the tomb of Vasco da Gama...look him in your Funk and Wagnalls if you've forgotten your history.
      Our time in Lisbon is winding down, we move on tomorrow. Some would say that Lisbon is among the most beautiful cities in the world. While I'm no position to say that, I'd say it's among the three most beautiful I've seen; the other two being Stockholm and Paris.

Takk for alt,

Al
About the ceramic tiles.

Our guide in front a display of tiles.

The monastery stretches....

da Gama's tomb.

No comments: