Tuesday, December 18, 2018

20/18/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 29 minutes ago
     Karen Blixen wrote "Any grief can be bourne if you tell a story about it."  This has been my experience and why I keep adding to these pages.  But, why does it help one's grief to tell a story about it?  While knowing it to be true, perhaps Sarah Miles has the answer to why it is so.
     T loves quotes and it was he that gave me last night's quote regarding darkness 'tomb or womb.'  T also provided me with this quote from Sarah Miles which explains the 'how' of what Karen Blixen wrote.  In her book Jesus Freak, Sarah writes "The death of a beloved is an event that rings and rings through life: bearing it is not a problem to be solved, but a long, slow piece of music to listen to.  And mourning, like music, is best listened to with others."
      
In this land of grief I've been buoyed, carried, encouraged, supported, comforted...by family and friends.  Through my writings we've together listened to the music of bereavement, so I have not been alone!  Both in person, and through the vehicle of this blog site I've had companionship, and therefore I have not lost hope! 
      Tonight a friend asked "Have you crossed a threshold?" by which he meant "Have you turned a corner?"  It seems I have.  In the metaphors of yesterday and today:  I have recognized that the darkness is of a womb and am now I'm into the second movement of the symphony.   
      You, dear reader, have listened with me and helped to facilitate this rebirth.  Yes, I am blessed and I am grateful.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: