Friday, December 14, 2018

12/14/18 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 15 minutes ago
      Today I was reading the obituary of a pastor and it was stated that "he married Faith Dahlen".  Faith was someone Joanne often talked about but whom I never met.  A text to her brother confirmed that Faith was a childhood friend of Joanne's.  This is the second time recently that an obituary has brought up a name from Joanne's past that I recognized but didn't know personally. 
       These experiences illustrate the history which is lost when someone dies.  While I was preparing for entertaining the other day I used serving utensils which, while familiar to me, I don't remember their back story.  Now, there is no one to ask.  
        The loss of shared history is much of the source of grief in bereavement.  Only with Joanne have I shared so much life.  Without her there is no one with whom to reminisce who knows the story and can fill in details I have forgotten.  This leaves a huge hole in my life.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: