Wednesday, December 12, 2018

12/12/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 1 hour ago
      Joanne is less on my mind these days and I find that unsettling, while at the same time, I know it is probably normal.  When I do think of her the sadness is still present.  Today, I was sharing with my spiritual director my discomfort at 'leaving Joanne behind.'  She responded, "Joanne is just with you in a new way, you can't leave her behind."
    When she said that I recognized a valuable perspective which, I suspect, will be of significant help in the land of grief.  Perhaps my experience is a bit of survivors guilt.  Why should I be allowed meaningful experiences that Joanne is not present to share?  Is my current life some how disloyal to her?  Thinking that she is with me, but in a new way, gives me hope.
     It will take time and reflection to integrate this perspective.  The learning curve in the land of grief has come as a bit of surprise to me.  Yes, I know, naive of me.  There is so much to think about and also much to learn.  In the midst of the sadness I am grateful for so many and so much.

Blessings.

Al

Picture: Joanne's birthday dinner on Easter Sunday.

No comments: