Sunday, December 30, 2018

12/30/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Is it true that, "Memory is the enemy of wonder, which abides nowhere else but in the present.  This is why, unless you are child, wonder depends on forgetting--on a process, that is of subtraction."  L once remarked to me that "nostalgia is a cheap emotion" and I've pondered that for years. Are these assertions related?
    The quote about memory comes from The Botany of Desire: A Plant's Eye View of the World, p. 268, Michael Pollan.  Could the treasured memories in the land of grief, if held tightly, inhibit wonder in the now?  Does health in the land of grief consist in the balance between memory and wonder?  Does my spiritual director's wisdom in pointing out to me that, Joanne will always be with me, but in a new way, leave me open to wonder?
    Memories have been very important to me in the land of grief.  Often I've been reminded by others that Joanne will be with me in my memories.  There seems much truth in this.  There is also the truism that 'one cannot live in the past.'  Does my future in the land of grief depend on forgetting, temporarily or permanently, to open my self to wonder, i.e., the present?
    So much to ponder and any thoughts from readers will be appreciated.


Blessings,

Al

No comments: