Sunday, December 23, 2018

12/23/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 36 minutes ago
Recently I posted about some of the things I've done since, and because of, being alone.  In response to that post a friend emailed me this quote.
      "Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers gave birth to them, but....life obliges them to over and over again to give birth to themselves."  Gabriel Garcia Marquez 
       This is true and its corollary is that we are co-creators of the universe we inhabit, for better or worse. While we are giving birth to our new selves we are either enhancing or damaging life.  Joanne was such a gift to the world because as she was re-born she gave a preponderance of her energy to co-creating a better universe.  The testimony reported in this space yesterday from Augustana University is one example that.
      It was her experience on Augustana's Board of Regents that prepared her for future board work and for relating to boards as an executive in various positions.  After Augustana she served on the governing boards of Luther Seminary, Ecumen, and Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota.  
     Would Joanne be surprised at my rebirth?  I think she would, but I think she would also be pleased and that gives me comfort. Some simple decisions have had profound impacts.  Inviting the family in to decorate my condo for Christmas transformed my attitude.  Where once I was dreading the season I am now engaged with joy and satisfaction.  Of course I will miss Joanne, I always do. But,after the condo was decorated I realize how important it is for me, as I enjoy my seasonal surroundings.  When I was asked today "How are you?"  I replied "learning."  That surprised my interlocutor so I went on to explain about the steep learning curve in the land of grief, of which the decorating is one example. 
    So, I keep on keeping on. 


Blessings,


Al

Picture: Joanne with three of her nieces.

No comments: