Thursday, February 11, 2016

"You ordered the frog."

    "What do you mean, 'you ordered the frog?'"  "Yes, you ordered the frog."  "I did?  Let me see the menu.  No, I was pointing to the fried pork."  "Oh!"   Much laughter follows as we unravel the frog dish on the dinner table.   Ah, yes...My Thai and their English is the cause of many laughs.
    Frog was a new dish to me and, no, it didn't taste like chicken,,,at lease done by Thai cooks.  It was surprisingly bony and I'd put it in the same category as 'duck cheeks'...OK to try but I wouldn't order again.
   
   One day of teaching left.  I'll say goodbye to the 6th graders who'll be off to junior high next year. They are a good group and I've taught them for 4 years. There is grief in knowing I'll not see them again.  If I were to teach much longer I would need to expand my repertoire so maybe it's time to head home.  I'll have weekend in Bangkok and be home on Feb. 15.

    There were two visitors at school yesterday from another school.  They were jealous of my presence at Wat Klang and invited me to teach at their school next year.  It's a flattering request but when they told me that their class sizes begin at 40 and go up it was not tempting at all.  The 3rd grade is the largest I teach at Wat Klang and it has 20 students.  Besides, I'm so embedded at Wat Klang I'd never leave,

Statues in the temple garden

Ayutthaya sunset.

4th grade.

Temple gong always rung three times:  for 1. Buddha, 2. Buddha's teaching and 3. monks.

No comments: