Sunday, February 7, 2016

Are 82 pictures a clue?

     Thai people love a good time.  I thought my Norwegian aunts brought a lot of food to a picnic but that is nothing compared to what the teachers brought for our boat trip.  Food, laughter, conversation, karaoke, dancing and sight seeing were the order of the day.  Launch time was noon and withing minutes we sat down to a feast...sightseeing could wait.
    There were about 20 of us in all.  The group included teachers, students teachers, my favorite teacher who has retired since last year, the retired principal and the current principal's wife. There were 3 ship's crew; pilot, waitress and a 10 year old boy who sat in the corner with his  smart phone.
    "Sanook", i.e., fun is important in Thai life.  They appreciate a good sport. It was fun before we even launched.  At school Friday I asked, when the teachers told me we were leaving at noon, if that was 'Thai time'  or 'American time'?  They told me 'American time' so there was much sport about who would or wouldn't be late for the boat.
     The weather, mid-eighties, was perfect and the river smooth  No one got sea sick and they gave me many gifts.  Thanking me for teaching was the excuse for the whole party.  Valuing relationships as they do, they are deeply appreciative that I return year after year,

     Friday I decided I now had the relationship necessary to do some consulting with them.  Students begin their study of English when they enter school at age 3.  In spite of this third graders have not been taught the sounds of letters.  Aronsee, who has been the 4th grade teacher in addition to teaching upper grades English, will teach Kindergarten next year.  I recommended that she begin teaching kindergartners letter sounds and that 1st and 2nd grades teachers continue that process,  Currently 3rd grade students have some vocabulary yet no idea that letters have sounds.   My suggestions were very positively received which does not necessarily mean anything will change.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church.

My entrees..."I brought this for you."

The table.

Thai house.

With the student teachers.

Each barge has man tending it who lives with his family in a cabin on board.

The crew.

Dancing with Aronsee.

No comments: