Thursday, February 25, 2016

Testing My Thai 'Zen'.

    Something persuaded me that I should apply for a Global Traveler Pass from TSA. After filling out the requisite paper work online the final step was a personal interview with TSA at their office in the airport. With the interview scheduled online I appeared at the appointed time.  A large sign on the TSA Office announced 'BY APPOINTMENT ONLY'.   After signing in on the sheet by the door I awaited my turn.  Presenting my passport and driver's license I was asked a few simple questions, approved for the pass and given instructions regarding it's use.  A very pleasant encounter with TSA.
    A day later I discovered to my chagrin that, Robert, my middle name was spelled Robertet on my application.  Knowing how exacting  passport control, airlines and other authorities are about such matters I tried to correct the misspelling online.  However, that was not possible and the site informed me that I could only do it in person.
    Assuming the sooner the better I headed for the airport. .  When I arrived at Lindbergh terminal I was met at the parking ramp by an attendant who said I couldn't park there but would need to go to Humphrey Terminal and return via light rail. Checking my 'Zen' I found it was still intact so I decided to make the best of it treating it as a mini-adventure.  I drove to  Lindbergh and I was directed to the orange ramp where I finally found a spot at the 8th level.   Following the signs I got to the light rail station 10 second after a train departed so needed to wait a few minutes for the next one. I took the next one to Lindbergh, up three flights of stairs to a tram which took me to the terminal where I walked to the TSA Office.
    Ignoring the "BY APPOINTMENT ONLY SIGN" I signed the sign in sheet and in the blank for my appointment time I wrote "small emergency".  A TSA Officer looked at the sheet, asked me the issue, and said he'd see my after the next appointee.  Very quickly I was ushered into the office, I pointed out the typo, he turned to his computer and a minute later he said "It's fixed."   Mentioning that I had to park at Humphrey he said "You could have just called us."   (Smile face here.)
   Reversing my course I made my way back to my car and headed home.  Zen?  Well...I did the whole thing without being impatient trying to remember what I observed in Thailand.

The 2nd floor walkway by the school classrooms.

As I left Thailand work had begun on this house which had stood partially completed since the 2011 flood. My house is the coral one in the background.

6th grader Mee, after she'd made a "Thank You" speech to me in English.

No comments: