Monday, February 1, 2016

In The Routine.

    Perhaps the most encouraging sign yet ,in my teaching, is having an English conversation with the 6th grade class. These are student with whom I've worked for 4 years.  One on one it is very difficult for them to carry on an English conversation. But, if I allow them to work as a group they are capable of sustaining a conversation.  Pooling their knowledge they can keep up a simple conversation.
   When I write English sentences on the board the same is true,  In fact they read better than they comprehend spoken English.  Likely much of this is because most of the spoken English they hear is from non-native speakers.
   There is wide disparity within the class.  However, at least half of the class are quite capable.  As a group they seem quite advanced compared with the 5th grade.  About 2 thirds of the fifth grade were not even able to identify "the'.  In working with the 5th grade I've divided them into 2 working groups.  I put the more capable ones with Farah, a 5th grader as the designated assistant teacher, and she works with them on English vocabulary flash cards.  While she is doing that I work with the others on basic sight words; and, the, she, he. they, a, an, etc.  I also work on their phonetics.
    Today the teachers announced to me that they've reserved an excursion boat for Saturday to take me on a "thank you tour."  It is clear that the teachers really appreciate my efforts and especially that I return year after year.  Likely I'll not be going to Bangkok this weekend.
   Historic Ayutthaya was built on a square island formed by three rivers and a canal.  The water formed a moat for protection of the palace, royal buildings and temples.  In spite of this the Burmese defeated the Thai in the war 1765-67.  The ruins of the buildings are what draws tourists to Ayutthaya Historical Park, a World Heritage site.  Our boat ride will take us around the island and an hour down the Chao Praya river toward Bangkok to see the former summer palace.

3rd grade.

3rd grade.

3rd grade.

Samalor on Ayuttthaya street; there are very few, always pedaled by an old man.

Long tail boat on a canal.

No comments: