Friday, February 12, 2016

Like Delivering Christmas Baskets!

       Now that my family is keyed into my desire to help others they've become very helpful.  It's in keeping with their values.  Each time Met does a message she puts 20 baht...about 75 cents...aside in honor of her massage teacher.  When that has accumulated she gives it away to someone in need.
       It was clear that we were embarking on an errand of mercy but the details were not clear to me. Relying on my trusty mantra "all will be revealed"  we headed off.  It turned out to be a bit like delivering Christmas baskets in the neighborhood.    Now that Met has  understood my mission to help others she has become more willing to be helpfully assertive by suggesting a range of possible gifts. She also counts as 'friends'  many who are really down and out.
     Our first stop was a young mother and her daughter.  Signals made it clear that I was to present the money to the daughter which I did.  Another stop was similar and was the daughter/granddaughter of a couple of whom I previously reported.  There were other stops but one stands out.
     Though I pass it daily I'd never noticed a foot path back into the trees.  We hiked down the path and in a small clearing came to a man who was turning wood into charcoal...his method of eking out a living.   However, his wife was our target.  She is mute, I suspect from birth, but her face radiates warmth.  But I wasn't prepared for their house.  Perhaps best that I let the picture speak for itself.
Child holding the money.

Granddaughter of couple I helped previously. 

Woman standing in front of her house; no electricity and no running water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Al, I love seeing your experiences and adventures. So much different and so much the same. Wonderful that the family you are with is helping others along with you. Thanks so much for sharing. - Tracy L.