Friday, February 19, 2016

Travel and Learning

    In his quirky little book, The Art Of Travel, Alain De Botton contrast 'tourists' and 'travelers'.  One of the key differences between the two, he says, is learning.  Tourists don't learn much as they flock to popular sites where they hang out with people much like themselves.  Americans cluster with Americans, etc.
    On the other hand, travelers engage more deeply with their surroundings and accordingly learn more.  Not focused on seeing 'sites' and hanging with people similar to themselves they experience the new and unfamiliar in more profound ways.
    An example of a tourist comes to mind...a true story.   She'd worked faithfully for the same company for many years.  To reward her faithful service her employer offered her an all expense paid trip to any place of her choice.  Given this remarkable opportunity what did she choose?  She chose to go to an enclosed resort in Jamaica.  That's a tourist, not a traveler, choice.
   Perhaps it's presumptuous, but I like to consider myself a traveler.  For example, after observing Thai driving patterns in depth my analysis was that Thai drivers were more patient than drivers in Minnesota.  (See my last post.)  Reflecting on the that observation I've made a resolution to be more patient while driving....I know, I know, it's about time!...but I'm trying.  How long will it last?  Check with me later and I'll tell you.
Kindergarten Students.

Teachers.


2nd Floor Walkway in front of the classrooms.

My house.

No comments: