Friday, February 12, 2016

What A Send Off!

   On my last day at school during  morning school gathering I was invited to address the students...this happens  every year.  A 6th grade student, the one most proficient in English, thanked me in English on behalf of her class. Before the students left for classes they all posed for a school picture.  But, the main event happened just before lunch
    With all the students seated on  the floor of the dining room I was invited to sit at a table in front of them.   After some 'thank you' speeches I was told to lean forward with my hands together over a large bowl.  Then followed a Buddhist/Muslim ceremony.  Everyone lined up and the Buddhists poured flowered water over  my hands and dabbed my arms and cheeks with liquid clay.  The Muslims skipped the water but also dabbed my arms and cheeks.  I don't fully understand the entire significance for the participants but for me it was profoundly moving.
     As a little side note it was also interesting to see  who the Muslims are.  The girls don't 'scarf' at this school and the boys have no distinctive dress either.  About 40% of the students are Muslim and I often don't know it.  Some names give me a clue, e.g., Faoud, Kabeem. Abedin, Sakid, Nadeam, are Muslim.  But many names offer no clue.
    Another very touching moment was as I was leaving.  After I said my 'goodbyes' at the teachers table I began to gather up all my gifts, which included cards from all my students. The teachers rose from the table, took my bags and began walking me to the car.  All the students who aware of what was happening joined the procession (recession?) and all accompanied me to the car.  It was so much better than just saying goodbye and walking away.  
Group photo.


Noon, a student teacher, placing a garland of orchids around my neck.

Aronsee dabbing my cheeks.

Apple, a student teacher wai's me.

A student pours water over my hands.

A student dabs my cheeks.

No comments: