Monday, February 22, 2010

The view from my front steps.

Dressed and ready early for school I sit on my front steps and look across to my neighbor's yard. I see grandma and great granddaughter giving food to a monk and then squatting in front of him while he chants a blessing. There is a spirit house (Animist) for the spirits who were disturbing by the building of the people houses. By my front steps an orchid now grows in the pot grandma patched last week. Grandma, after her blessing, sweeps the leaves that have fallen on the front yard(concrete). Bicycles, motorcycles, push carts and pedestrians navigate the bouncy path that separates our houses. A black dog sleeps on the wooden bridge at the end of the path undisturbed by the motorcycles rattling the planks. Doves coo in the trees. A cool breeze pushes the morning air. Nok, wearing very high heels, rides her motorcycle across the bridge on her way to work. Pear and Nuc in their school uniforms leave for school. Leet drives his car out the back way to catch a train to Bkk where he sells Hino trucks and buses. His big Honda motorcycle is parked under the house awaiting a holiday. Other people leave the house behind mine dressed for work. A man who makes his living scavanging stops his bike and gladly accepts the empty glass water bottle I offer him.
Across the bridge I see the world's oldest tuk tuk driven by the world's oldest tuk tuk driver stop to pick up the world's oldest elementary school volunteer. We "Sawatadee-krup" each other and head off to Wat Salapoon. At the school he shows me his instructions written in Thai. I point to the 13:00 and say "Chai-krup" (Yes) and walk into the school. At 13:00 he's parked in front of the school to drive me back to my house.

No comments: