Wednesday, February 17, 2010

School culture

Now, well into my second week, I observe a significant difference in the way the teachers treat me at the two schools. Last year at Wat Salapoon volunteers were brought lunch in the teacher's lounge. This year I eat with the teachers in their dinning room as I do at Wat Klong.
At Wat Salapoon I'm acknowledged and then largely ignored. At Wat Klong they make me engage by telling me what the Thai is for various things. It feels good to be included as one of the group.
The teachers are much more accepting of my Thai pronunciation than are the students. To mix up my teaching a bit I ask the students to say a word we're working on in Thai, e.g., father. They keep repeating it until I get it right while the teachers take pretty much any attempt I make.
In the fifth grade class today a girl said to me in very clear English "You are very handsome and very kind." It's a good thing I'm not responsible for grading!

No comments: