Monday, February 8, 2010

A better ending.

After I finished the 5th grade lesson today (Tuesday) I asked the teacher for the schedule for the rest of the week. She said that I wasn't assigned until Monday. "Oh my" I thought "I came all this way to teach 3 classes a week?" It turns out that the new teacher dosen't want to relinquish any more of her teaching time to me. A trip to the headmistress didn't change anything so I repaired to house to contemplate my options.
Attention to details has never been my strong suit. Such a failure came back to haunt me as I realized that I didn't have a phone number for Mr. Aussawin, my local contact. Perhaps he could help me find more teaching if I knew how to reach him. Teaching only two days a week seemed like a waste. I've gotten acquainted with the extended family next door and one of them teaches English at a vocational school. Perhaps I could help her?
As I sat on my steps considering my options who should appear but Mr. Aussawin. After I'd explained the situation to him he called Wat Klung and the English teacher at that school invited me to teach there Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I will teach at Wat Salapoon Mondays and Tuesdays. I may have to do Kindergarten tomorrow but I suppose I'll survive that. I'm just tickled for the additional opportunity.
After the teaching situation was settled Mr. Aussawin said " I hear you'd like a TV." I asked him how he knew that? In my conversation with my neighbors last night they'd asked how I liked the house. I gave a factual description; two beds, two chairs, a refrigerator, no TV but the air conditioning was nice. They asked if I wanted a TV and I said I'd think about it. I said I didn't understand Thai so much of the programming would be no use. They said there are some English channels and then the conversation moved on to others things.
Unbeknown to me they are the owners of my house and they had called Mr. Aussawin to tell him they'd provide a TV. I hope I didn't put my foot to far into my mouth answering their questions about the house. They are very friendly and I enjoy visiting with them. They inhabit two house across the path from me...siblings living next door to each other and grandma lives there too.

1 comment:

Paul Richards said...

with any luck you can catch some Thai reruns of "Hogan's Hero's"