Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mystery answered.......

Traveling and teaching in Thailand I've been curious why some of the school uniforms are Scouting...green dresses for girls and brown shorts with white shirts for boys complete with scouting insignia. At lunch today with the teachers I asked about. The answer is that Scouting is included in the uniform Thai national curriculum and is encouraged by the king, who, incidentally is hospitalized. My guess is that scouting's emphasis on character building is the key. Last year the English teacher at Wat Salapoon, dressed in a scout leader's uniform told me she was taking grade 6, camping.
The students wear different uniforms on different days. One day a week, at least, it is the scout uniform. Occasionally a student will wear a uniform out of step with the day. Perhaps he/she only has one, or??? I think uniforms are a good idea.
There are never any students in the computer lab at Wat Klong. I use it to check my email. At Wat Salapoon students are ofter there, with their grade. However, they mostly play computer games.
The food we had at lunch with the teachers today was great. I need to get the English names of the food written down for future reference. So often in a Thai restaurant in America I look for the food I've eaten here but can't remember the name.
Correction to yesterday's post: She asked me if I wanted "khow pat" not "cow pie". Khow pat is fried rice.

No comments: