Saturday, February 11, 2023

Think on this!

    A friend, who was attending an advanced church mediation event last week shared this quote from the event.

A good one to one relationship means I am open with you about whatever I think ,feel, and want to do or have done, and I do not worry about your reaction to that openness.  I do not let concern about your reaction keep me  from doing  something, nor do I think . “ You must accept me before  I can do this.”  Equally,  I can hear your openness about these things and do not have the need to condemn or judge you or agree with you . Agreement is not the goal.”  Ronald Richardson  Polarization  and the Healthier ChurchThat 

    That first sentence really jumped out at me. “A good one to one relationship means I am open with you about whatever I think ,feel, and want to do or have done, and I do not worry about your reaction to that openness.” Wow! How many times have I, and do I, hold back for fear of another person’s reaction? Why do I worry so much about another person’s reaction? How freeing it would be to not be constrained by fear of an other's reaction.

   This is one of those insights that will take some rumination. Am I the only one who does this self-censoring? Of course not. Here’s hoping for some response to this post.

Takk for alt,

Al

My romance with Joanne began on a trip to Holden Village in 1963 with this young adult group from First Lutheran, Sioux Falls.


1 comment:

Michelene said...

I have been reflecting on that first line as well, I wonder before I can receive or expect this type of openness do I first give this unconditional acceptance ?