Thursday, February 16, 2023

The presence of absence again.

    Grief triggers, those things, sounds, smells, events, that ignite the presence of absence and throw one back into a spasm of grief are a reality of life in the land of grief. There are widows at church, whose husbands died more recently than Joanne. When I’ve shared my experience, that with time there are fewer triggers and often they are less powerful, it has brought them comfort.

   Tonight, with S’s 11th birthday, it qas one of those moments. Joanne loved birthdays, something I had to learn in my life with her. Realizing the loss of Grandma to her granddaughters and all Joanne misses in their growing makes me very sad. Yes, that is a persistent trigger, and always brings the presence of absence to the fore.


Takk for alt,

Al


             Joanne and Sella, eleven years ago.

No comments: