Saturday, February 4, 2023

Life events

    The Berlin crisis of 1961 activated my brother’s National Guard unit. Ironically he’d recently transferred from the Brookings, SD, unit to one in Clear Lake, SD. The transfer was to change to a different day for the weekly training. The Brookings unit wasn’t activated while the Clear Lake unit was sent to Colorado for several months. At least it made him eligible for VA benefits.

   When the Cuban Missile Crisis erupted in the autumn of 1962, it made me nervous for a personal reason. My enlistment in the Marines was for six years, three of which were on active duty. While I was discharged from active duty in June 1962, my military commitment on inactive duty stretched until 1965.

   The Cuban Crisis occurred in my first semester back in college. Based on my brother’s experience of activation I thought “Here I go again.” Fortunately that crisis ended so quickly that troupes were not mobilized and I finished my military obligation with no further duty.

   Besides the value of a college degree, Joanne and I also met on the campus. Two great gifts, the greater of which was Joanne. 😄

Takk for alt,

Al


My family gathered on my college graduation day, June 20, 1962. Joanne and I were married six days later, Front row: Aunt Inga, my Mother, Mary Richard's wife, Jonetta David's wife, Joanne. Back row my Dad, Richard and David. I took the picture.

No comments: