Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Technological advance

       From the perspective of my advanced age I'm aware of so many persons in my past who I should have thanked but didn't.  Our farm, lying along  US Highway 81, was about equal distance between the towns of Sinai and Arlington. Following the pattern established by our grandparents Sinai was 'our town.' Arlington was larger and supported both a medical doctor and a dentist to whom we went.

      Dr. Jensen, DDS, could be severe. But he was responsible for doing me a huge favor, for which I never thanked him. My teeth grew in a with a severe overbite, in elementary school I was belittled with the slur of 'gopher teeth.'  Jensen convinced my parents to take me to the first orthodontist  practicing in S.D., Dr Mehrens, in Sioux Falls. Braces were a major financial commitment and the cost was exacerbated by the need to travel to Sioux Falls, 60 miles away, every three weeks for a check-up. A neighbor boy also had braces so our families took turns driving. Sorry to say I never thanked my parents, either.

    All this came to mind when at the dentist's office today. In two hours the dentist did a complete crown and also cleaned my teeth. While the crown was setting my teeth were cleaned and I came home with no need to return for six months. What will they think of next! 

Takk for alt

Al

PS In a book I'm read a teen age girl, stuck for a long buggy ride with a talkative adult felt like "there was a hole in her through which she all leaked out." This introvert has felt like that. 😁



                           There are advantages to hearing aids.

No comments: