Monday, February 20, 2023

Memory?

    Perhaps I shouldn’t have written in yesterday’s blog that my memory is Okay. Acting on a recommendation I purchased Lief Enger’s 2001, book, Peace Like A River, at Half Price Books. Leif is a Minnesota author who was raised in Osakis and worked for MPR for twenty years. Reading it I was immediately engaged because it begins with a goose hunt in North Dakota. During my Mohall years I did much goose hunting. It was a national bestseller not long after its publication.

   What does reading it have to do with memory. While Joanne and I were living in Golden Valley, MN, we organized a neighborhood book club. Convening the club fell to me. The club choose a meeting date one year that fell shortly after my annual trip to Thailand. Being the convener I met with the group even though I’d only read part of the book. As I was reading Peace there was a scene about which I thought “I know this!” Upon reflection I remembered it was Peace that the book club read in my absence. Ah yes, memory... Now, having forgotten the ending, I read to the end.

Recommend it? Maybe, it’s a good story. My copy will go to the OFH Little Free Library on the front lawn. The librarians regularly ask for gift books.

Takk for alt,

Al




No comments: