Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Streets

    Temps in the 40s makes the streets sloppy. West 7th Street, which is also MN State Highway 5, runs past the OFH. It’s in tough shape. Deep potholes regularly appear. Apparently it’s slated for a complete upgrade which will make getting to the OFH interesting. Some of the potholes appear to be over a foot deep. At the bottom of these holes there are bricks. The asphalt was laid over the bricks which would explain why, even apart from the pot holes, the street is very rough.

   Before the OFH was built there was a corner with five streets entering. Montreal and West 7th ran through and Lexington Parkway entered. When the Wedum Foundation bought the property to build the OFH, Lexington Parkway was rerouted, through the OFH property. Now it joins West 7th, a block east of Montreal. Road construction lies in the future, but it is very needed.

Takk for alt,

Al

PS Michelene asked what happened when I went in the water after the landing craft hit a sand bar.(see last nights post.) My pack was tight enough to shed the water for the brief plunge in the water. My clothes, though salty, dried in the south Califonia sun. As soon as I could I totally dismantled my rifle, cleaned it and oiled it so it wouldn't rust. 

In a tent in Japan, sitting on my air matress and sleeping bag writing home, which I did every week. My mother saved the letters and I have them. My rifle hangs behind me, as does my mess kit, the seabag was in lieu of a suitcase.


No comments: