Tuesday, February 7, 2023

A good book

      There’s a Half Price Bookstore near the OFH. Friday I entered, headed for the Patchett shelf to have a look see. Several copies of her books were there but all had been previously read. It’s a bit daunting to be confronted with so many books but wanting to bring home something engaging.

    Eventually, at the Marilyn Robinson shelf. a copy of Lila said “take me home.” Having read Gilead and several of her other books why not Lila? Could it be that it waited until there was leisure to enjoy this gem? Take for example this snippet: Lila thinks “People living the way she does could go crazy. She began to wonder if that had already happened to her. She thought, If I’m crazy, I may well do what I feel like doing. No point being crazy if you have to worry all the time about what people are thinking anyway.” P. 27

  Read on!

Takk for alt,

Al

Having come down the nets,loaded up and headed for shore. Once I was at the front of the landing craft which would run up on the beach, drop the front ramp and the Marines would run ashore. The craft hit something solid, the ramp dropped and I ran into water over my head, rifle pack and all. The craft was stuck on a sand bar not the beach. Soaked in salt water was the beginng of a two week field exercise.


1 comment:

Michelene said...

Say more about what happen to your rifle etc?