Thursday, August 3, 2023

That's done!

      With corn planting a likely nine months away readying the planter could have waited, When this planter was sold, likely in the 1950s, there was no provision made for lubricating the axles. That seems a bit of a design flaw! Naturally both hubs have worn out with use. When I had finished replacing one of the hubs recently I noticed that there was tread separation on the tire. That's when the search for a used 14" tire began. This project could wait until spring and planting time.

   My neighbor, aware of the need for a 14" tire found a set of 4 on Facebook Marketplace. The cost of the four was only slightly more than one new trailer tire, the cheapest new one available. So, I bought them. Today I had one mounted on the planter's tire rim and then I put it on the planter. This set of four were virtually new, about 1000 miles use. Putting such a new, fancy tire on the ancient planter seemed a bit of overkill. But, with the dearth of appropriately sized tires, so be it. 

   Re-mounting the wheel on the planter was no easy task, it took about an hour getting everything to line up. That experience reinforced the decision to not wait until spring. So, now the ancient planter rests peacefully until spring planting season and I have the satisfaction of a task accomplished,,,plus I have 3 spare tires. 😀

Takk for alt,

Al

               A very old planter with a fancy new tire on the left.


No comments: