Saturday, August 5, 2023

Rained out!

      "Rained out" in this context are joyous words. Kaia and I went to the field is search of rocks. Before we found any it began to rain. While I am committed to rock removal this does not include doing so in the rain. 😀 Yesterday afternoon a thunder shower brought .4" to The Little House but only .1" to the pasture 3 miles away. It's now 3:45 pm and a gentle rain has fallen since 9:00 am.Wow! It's worth millions, makes me glad and is projected to continue into the morning hours. Yipee!

    Crops, corn and soybeans, are showing stress, and pastures turning brown from lack moisture. Corn and beans reveal spots of sandy soil. The gift of rain in August is HUGE!  Yup, I maybe a 'pretend' farmer but I have farmer's passion for rain.

     There's a strip of land, about 20 yards wide. between a wetland and neighbor's fence that I use as a driving lane. It was rutted badly making traversing it a pain. Last may I plowed and disced it smooth. Then I planted, what the DNR calls "brood mix" for young pheasants and sorghum, which is great food for them. It grew beautifully and I'll post a picture of it below.

Takk for alt,

Al


                   Brood mix and sorghum 



No comments: