Sunday, August 27, 2023

I Quit!

       Abraham Verghese' book Cutting For Stone, was so captivating that Joanne, while reading it, unwittingly read all night. I, too, really enjoyed it. Based on that, and it's popularity, I acquired his new novel The Covenant Of Water, via electronic transfer to my Kindle. It's 775 pages long and, halfway through, I quit and returned it to the library.

      Why? you may ask. The last straw for me was a major character's continued self destruction. Just when there's a glimmer of redemption he continues his downfall. It begins to feel like one of those books where, if anything bad can happen it will. It's just not that edifying to see a number of significant characters self destruct. Enough is enough. Another annoyance was the author's continual use of undefined foreign words. The reader is left to guess the meaning of the word from its context.

     I tried, but there are too many other books vying for attention to continue in that depressive vein.  Do I recommend it? Haven't you read the preceding paragraphs?  😉

Takk for alt,

Al

             My check comes via direct deposit.

No comments: