Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Family connections fray.

    Seafarer's International House is a 150 year old, Lutheran Ministry on the coasts. Years ago, in Manhattan for a wedding, Joanne and I stayed at Seafarer's. Today when I opened Seafarer's annual report I was surprised to see a memorial gift in memory of Joanne's cousin, Marilyn Burke Maurstad. Surprised because I didn't know of her death. This cousin, a bit removed, died in May 2021.

   This sent me to the internet where I found her obituary in the records of Sioux Falls, SD., where she'd been living the last few years. There also was recorded the obituary of Marilyn's brother-in-law, Ed Mansfield. Ed's wife, Eunice, is sister to Marilyn. With the frailty of old age communication with that branch of the family has ceased. 

    These are the kind of things that I'd long to discuss with Joanne. The last time I saw Ed, Eunice and Marilyn was at Joanne's burial in Sinai, now almost five years ago.  

Takk for alt,

Al


                          Joanne's grave.

No comments: