Friday, January 13, 2023

Because you asked...

    One of my two readers, if not you then other one, asked about the fire before moving day, January 7, 2022. Movers were hired to do some of the packing for moving. Most of that was done on January 6. Citing concerns about COVID I was banished while the packers worked lest I become infected. (By the way, I got a 5th COVID vaccine the other day when I saw my primary care doctor.) Lisa volunteered to be present, for which she should have gotten hazard-es duty pay.

   The three packers, unmasked, were busily packing when Lisa said “I smell smoke!” Looking toward the kitchen she saw flames from the cook top to the ceiling. When the packers had arrived they put the sheets of packing paper on the cook top and bumped a control knob of the burner to high. This ignited the paper. A packer grabbed the burning mass and plopped into the sink and turned on the water extinguishing the flames.

   While there was soot and smoke nothing was damaged. The fire alarm did not activate nor did the sprinkler system. Had the sprinkler system activated there would have been much damage. This episode was a clue about the professionalism of the movers. They got the job done the next day with no serious damage though we all had frayed nerves.

   That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: