Sunday, January 8, 2023

Anniversaries

     Blogging yesterday passed over two anniversaries that might have been noted. On January 7, 1900, Edith Bergh was born. Why is that important? Because she was my mother! It was always easy to track her age, born as she was seven days into the new century. She was the 10th child and the 8th that lived to adulthood in her family. Two sisters were born after mom. Her death came just weeks before her 90th birthday. Rest in peace good and faithful servant...and I don’t mention her middle name because she didn’t like it.

   The other anniversary is much less significant. It was exactly one year ago yesterday that I moved into the old folk’s home. (Last night at dinner Ann told me she didn’t like me calling it the old folk’s home. Then she relayed a story that while watching a New Year’s Day parade someone asked “What will become of all the flowers?” To which the reply was “They’ll be taken to old people at a rest home.” Ann said that was even worse than Old Folk’s Home.) From day one I’ve liked it here, and I feel fortunate to have secured the apartment I have. Looking out over the trees along the Mississippi to Mendota Heights gives me breathing room.

   When I mentioned the move-in anniversary to Lisa it almost triggered PTSD, recalling the incompetence of the movers. It’s fortunate that the sprinklers in the condo didn’t trigger with the fire they started. It’s amazing with flames to the ceiling that there was no damage. Also amazing it that nothing was damaged in transit. No, they are not on the recommended list.

   I am happy to be here!

Takk for alt,

Al


            After boot camp I was issued an M-1, rifle which I kept until my discharge. Nice haircut, Marine! 😁

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell us about this fire, I missed that story!! ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️