Monday, July 4, 2022

Another Book!

     Ever since I got some farmland in 1989, the Soil Conservation Service (SCS) of Brookings County, SD. has been helpful to me. When native grasses have been planted SCS has done that with their special drill. They've planted hundreds of trees and SCS has sold me replacement trees for replanting. SCS is a drop-off site for free seed corn for wildlife food plots so I've often gone there for that. They also advise the USDA about the suitability of land for enrollment in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). The genesis of SCS was unknown to me until I read The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of those who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, Timothy Egan.

   The focus is on the high plains,  a balloon shaped area of Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. The incredible suffering of those of those who faced, not only the depression, but the drought of the 'dirty thirties' boggles the mind. My mother talked of having to light the lamps at noon during dust storms in eastern South Dakota but, that was nothing compared to the high plains. 

   In the administration of  Franklin Roosevelt, Hugh Bennet, Secretary Of Agriculture established the Soil Conservation Service which continues it's work of preservation today. Planting tree shelterbelts was another solution. My father, and his three siblings, planted two miles of shelterbelts that thrive today.

   While it's not the easiest reading of such terrible suffering the history and its lessons are worth the effort. Yes, I recommend it.

Takk for alt,

Al 

"July 4th: worst day ever for dogs."  Headline in today's paper.



                        Joanne loved flowers!

No comments: