Sunday, July 18, 2021

Sundays

        Grace University Lutheran, Minneapolis,  my congregation, had their first in-person worship, since March 2020, today. It was held outdoors on the lawn north of the church building. Attendance for me was via live-streaming. It was an hour earlier than usual to beat the heat.

        An experience in my first year of ministry made me an arch conservative about changing times of worship. When I arrived at Zion Lutheran, Mohall, ND., their services was at 9:30 and Sunday School was at 11:00. The first full summer I was there I persuaded the church council to change the time of the service. Because there was no Sunday School I reasoned we could move the service to 9:00 for the summer until Sunday School resumed in the fall. The first four Sundays of the time change Milton & Bertina walked in at 9:30. Each Sunday as they left they asked "Doesn't church start at 9:30?"  We are creatures of habit and planners need to take that seriously. 😀

       College is in the far distant past for me. Yet, memories of student life remain. One of those memories has to to do with Sunday evenings. They were a "down" time for me. Sunday's now are not such a time as that but the day is quiet. It would behove me to think ahead and have plans for the day. My hearing aid issue makes telephoning more difficult increasing my isolation.  There's a family wedding later this week so there will be good opportunity to connect with relatives. Much better than funerals!

Takk for alt,

Al

       

No comments: