Saturday, July 10, 2021

Book Titles

        Since reading My Life Wit Bob,  Pamela Paul, about her "Bob", i.e., her list of books (Book Of Books) she's read, I too, have been keeping a list of what I've read. Occasionally someone will reference a book I've read by the title. Sometimes I struggle to remember the book. There are other times when a book title comes to mind because of an event. Today was one of those days. The title The Gift Of Rain came to mind today as .9" of rain fell.

"The Gift of Rain is the first novel by Malaysian novelist Tan Twan Eng. It was published in 2007 by Myrmidon Books in the United Kingdom and the following year by Weinstein Books in the United States, and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize that year." Wikipedia 

    Thinking it was a good book I chose it for our neighborhood book club which meant that I read it twice. Some of the interest for me was the setting in a part of Malaysia that I had travelled. As the rain fell today I thought how rain is a gift.

   The rain began about 8:00 a.m. and continued until 1:00 p.m. Rain falling this slowly on parched ground soaks in with no run off. That is more valuable than a burst that comes quickly so much runs off. It was a delight to stand at the window and watch it fall. Corn fields in the area are just beginning to tassel and that is a critical time for moisture.  The rainy morning was a good time to catch up reading of the three Economists that came while I was travelling. It seems there is less time for reading in the summer.

Takk for alt,

Al


No comments: