Sunday, July 29, 2018

7/26/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Jul 26, 2018
     To get to the gist of this post a bit of background story is necessary.   Owning a bit of real estate in South Dakota, Joanne and I did some estate planning.  For planning pusposes our real estate holdings were moved from a join trust to individual trusts.  On one piece of property we had entered into a Federal Wildlife Easement for conservation purposes.  Approached by the Fish & Wildlife officals we agreed to do a number of conservation practices for which we would be reimbursed.  One example of a conservation practice was removing the pipes and plugging an abandoned well, to prevent surface pollution from entering the aquifer.  Before we were reimbursed we'd placed this property in Joanne's trust.  That legal change required re-signing all new documents.  By the time that was done Congress had frozen the funds in this program.  Therefore, twelve months later I still have not been reimbursed.
     Then, Joanne dies.  When I reported Joanne's death to the local Fish & Wildlife manager she explained that Congress had frozen the funds and that was why I hadn't been paid.  Congress has now released the funds but they are only available until September 30, when the current Farm Bill expires.  Because the land is again in my trust, all contracts had to be re-done for my signature.  Concerned that time will run out before the paperwork is completed, she sprang into action on my behalf.  Title changes, as in these trust adjustments, are filed with the county register of deeds.  From there they are shared electonically with the USDA Farm Service Agency and the Federal Fish & Wildlife Service.  They have been filed with the county but have not reached Fish and Wildlife, who must have a copy to make the changes to the contract.  Concerned that it might take too long to receive a copy of the deed, the manager went personally to the resgister of deeds and paid for a copy to keep the process moving.
     Such kindness reminds me of the goodness in people.  She could have told me that I have to wait until the copy of the deed is sent to her office. But, when she heard that it had been filed with the register of deeds, she voluntarily went to retrieve it.  With it in hand, she prepared the new contracts for me to sign, called me in to sign and said she'll expedite them on their way to the office that will make the payment. All of this transpired in less than 24 hours.
    These are the experiences that give me hope in the midst of my sadness.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: