Sunday, July 15, 2018

7/13/18 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — 9 hours ago
It's one of those days that Joanne would treasure.  After a quick trip to farmer's market to get my berry stash...bought much more when Joanne was alive...I attended Dr. Lee Lillehaug's funeral.  He was on the faculty of Augustana College for thirty-five years.  That time spanned both Joanne's time on the faculty and her twelve years on the Board of Regents.  When Joanne worked for LWR she visited the Lillehaugs in their retirement home in Edina.  Dr. Lillehaug's son, David, was student body president at Augustana while Joanne was on the board so he attended meetings.  Joanne  later recruited David to be on a LWR Committee Joanne established.
     Joanne would affirm my attendance at the funeral.  It gave me the opportunity for good conversations.  Small talk is not my gift.  However, since Joanne died, with those who knew her, small talk is not necessary.   Conversations quickly move to the significant, i.e., Joanne's death and my response to it.
       Tom & Becky celebrated their 50th today with an open house this afternoon.  Of course I went and Joanne would have loved it.  Introverts, like me, relish significant conversations with a few people as compared with quick "Hi, how are you?" interactions.  At the open house I was blessed with three deep conversations with five people.  The experience at the funeral was replicated in that conversations quickly moved to the real stuff of life. 
      Returning home filled with gratitude for Joanne's fan club I moved to an evening with our granddaughters.  She's missing so much!

Blessings,

Al

No comments: