Saturday, July 21, 2018

7/21/2018 Caring Bridge

Produce Made Me Cry

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — 17 minutes ago

      Saturday mornings in the summer means that it's Farmer's Market Time.  Blueberries are in season as are strawberries.  They get added to the daily bowl of cereal that makes my standard breakfast...OK, full disclosure...eaten with whole mile enriched with whipping cream.  But, I digress.
      It was a sunny,  comfortable, morning at Minneapolis Farmer's Market.  The aisles were full of people and the booths filled with beautiful produce and other delectables.   Looking at the beets, green beans, peas, new potatoes and floweres made my eyes fill with tears. What is so emotional about vegetables?  It's the memories of course. 
       Going to Farmer's Market on Saturday is a pattern that I have followed for years.  Those are the vegetables I'd bring home for us to eat.  Raspberries, which Joanne loved, would accompany the other berries.  Usually, I'd also buy a bouquet of fresh flowers, but now I have no one at home for the vegetables and flowers.  I eat my berries alone. 
         Today, it was at Farmer's Market when I encountered the presence of absence.


Blessings,

Al

No comments: