Sunday, March 22, 2009

We don't move quickly.......

A trip to Chicago for a baby shower for our grandchild, sex to be determined later, prompted some reflections on impending grandpa hood. Our son, Lars, and his wife, Melissa, are expecting their first child soon. The due date is April 22, but you know how babies are. Joanne brought some heirlooms to the shower and several of the young women said they'd never seen anything so old outside of a museum...and no they were NOT talking about me.
This all started me thinking about my family tree. On my fathers side, my grandfather, Lars, was born in 1857 and my father, Albert, was born in 1883. I was born in 1938, and son, Lars, was born in 1969. That means that this child's birth comes 152 years after his/her great great grandfather. Some families get to the great great stage in 80 years. We don't move quickly. I certainly wish I would have asked my father much more about his father to enrich that oral family history reaching back over 150 years.

No comments: