Saturday, March 28, 2009

How quickly I forget!

Its been a few years since my first back surgery, a discectomy to trim a bulging disc that was impinging on a nerve to my leg. Within weeks, probably, it bulged again which led to a second surgery about a year later. The nerve to my leg was compromised long enough to cause my ankle to be weak. I couldn't keep it from rolling out when I walked on rough ground. When I tried to run it felt like it would collapse. It was very frustrating and, for two years, I thought, "O, if I could just run again!"
Now the ankle is strong again. Over time the nerve has responded and I can hold my ankle. I can run without feeling like it will collapse. So now what? I'm rediscovering that running is hard work and I find myself thinking "this isn't so great". The days when I was wishing I could run have been replaced with resistance to the challenge of pushing myself.

No comments: