Monday, March 16, 2009

A dog tail...or tale?

A hoard of nasty dogs lived between the teachers house where we lived and the school at Wat Salapoon. Growling, barking and generally menacing they made our every walk an adventure. A pack went after Shandah one day until they were driven off by a passing car. I did notice the longer I stayed the less they growled and barked. When I was at the beach at Cha-Am I was very leery of the dogs until I realized that, unlike the ones in Ayutthaya, they were totally benign. I could step over them as they snoozed on the walk, walk past them as the slept in a yard and never once did they growl or bark at me. So why the difference? My only guess is that at a beach town they were used to strangers.
So there's my current dog, Kjell. He'll be 7 on May 1, an enthusiastic Springer and the smartest dog I've owned, or, I should say, I used to own. Lisa's been wanting a dog so she proposed joint custody of Kjell. He stays with her in the woods when she's home and with me when she travels. All well and good, except, he prefers her. When he comes to visit me he's very happy to see me, all wags and wiggles. After a short greeting he goes back to Lisa and when she leaves watches the door for her return for days. When she does return he barks and creates a terrible fuss and he's not normally a barker. The same is true with Lars. If Lars and I go hunting Kjell will only hunt with Lars ignoring me completely, and, no I have NOT mistreated him.
Now to brag a little. Lisa had a friend visit so they were enjoying a snack on the coffee table. They decided to walk across the street to the ARC Retreat Center leaving Kjell in the house. As Lisa returned to the house it dawned on her that they'd left the food on the coffee table (low) and Kjell loose in the house. He hadn't touched a thing! Ya...we're proud!

No comments: