Thursday, March 26, 2009

The gift of long friendship.

Today we met at the golf dome to hit some balls while we wait for golf weather. I last saw him when we golfed in October. That's a bit like the pattern of our lives. We're the same age...we grew up on neighboring farms in SDak and were classmates for 8 years in country school and 4 years of high school. We even roomed together for a year after high school. As boys we thought it great fun to overnight at each others homes. His favorite story about me happened on one of those overnights at my house. We had to stay after school. At dinner my dad said, "You were kinda late coming home from school today." I said, "Ya, we had to stay after school for something we didn't do." Dad said, "What was that?" I said, "We didn't do our homework." He swears it's true but I don't remember it.
After high school he went to work and soon married...he has a grandchild who is college junior. I took quite a different path and for 50 years we seldom had any contact. We'd occasionally see each other when we were both in SDak. Now we both live in the Minneapolis area. A couple of years ago we needed a 4th for golf. I called him and soon he was playing regularly with the group of which I was a part.
Its been fascinating for me to reconnect and see how deep the bond after all these years. That is a factor of early shared history plus many core values in common and...we just like each other. I continue to believe that friendship is one greatest gifts God gives in this life. New friends, old friends.........

No comments: