Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The topic was gratitude....

The African man was making the point that gratitude seems more immediate when you're glad to get a mango so you have something to eat that day and you get three; breakfast, lunch and dinner. He went on that in America everything seems to be provided; food to eat, shelter, transportation, etc. Without the immediate concern of where will my next meal come from, gratitude for what is there, can easily be taken for granted. It reminds me of my pastoral visits to Katherine Keller many years ago. She was in her 90s and had been widowed in her 40s with 9 children for whom to care. In her old age she lived in extremely humble circumstances but exuded gratefulness. Leaving her house I was always filled with energy given to me by her exuberant gratitude. I'd like to be more like Katherine even though I live where much can be taken for granted.

No comments: