Friday, April 5, 2024

Shocked

        It's an experience I hope is not repeated. Upon opening Facebook yesterday one of the first posts I   read was the announcement of a friend's death. There had been no warning. With the exception of 2020 every year since my retirement in 2007,  we, or I, have made a trip to east central Iowa to visit friends. Upon my retirement I said to Joanne that these friends had often travelled to MN for our events so now we should visit them. As long as Joanne lived we did, and after Joanne died I did the trip solo.

    While Joanne was makin the trip we'd spend a night in Decorah with her friend and college roommate. After Joanne died I meet this friend for lunch, usually on the return trip. Jenine Jordahl's husband Paul, deceased, was also a college classmate.

    Opening Facebook the first post I saw was from First Lutheran Church, Decorah, announcing Jenine's death Wednesday at St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester.  So far that's all I know. None of the circumstances have been communicated.

    This is a double measure of grief. Jenine was not only Joanne's friend but mine as well. It is a significant personal loss and also connects with Joanne's death. As time passes, now only a few days short of six years since she died, the deaths of persons who knew her leaves a void. Joanne and Jenine had so many memories of college life, e.g., always being the first two in the cafeteria in the morning. There is now one less person who remembers Joanne, one whom knew her years longer than I. Void is good description of how it feels, lonely. Much of grief relates to the loss of shared history, Jenine carried those college memories of Joanne.

    Jenine was a good and faithful servant, may God bless her memory.

Takk for alt,

Al

  This picture with Jenine was taken when I stopped to have lunch with her in Decorah.


1 comment:

Michelene said...

I just saw this. I am so very sorry for yet another loss.