Friday, April 19, 2024

Seed Corn

       Two 56lb bags of seed corn each hold 80,000 kernels, counting took me awhile. 😉 Germination was tested November 2021. This confirms my suspicion that the seeds are surplus because the seeds are past their prime. Precision planters determine the optimum seeds to plant per acre. The four row John Deere planter, from the 60s, which I use is not so precise.  Labels on the bags indicate that they are for wildlife planting only. To receive the bags I had to sign a statement that they'd be used for wildlife and not commercial use. The label would normally indicate the dates to maturity, e.g., 101 days. These tags didn't offer that. It's only a matter of curiosity for me becasue the corn isn't harvested but left for the pheasants and deer. 

     Both I, and the soil, are waiting for warmer weather before planting. "Corn is a warm-season crop that germinates and emerges best when soil temperatures are between 85–90°FHowever, many corn varieties will sprout at temperatures in the 50s. For best germination, the soil should be 60–65°F at a depth of 2–4 inches."  Google

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: